Sealing Criminal Records (Expungement)
In some cases, you can ask the court to seal your criminal record from public view. This used to be called expungement. Your records won't be physically destroyed, but they will be sealed and treated as confidential.
You are NOT eligible to have your offense expunged if:
- you are a sexual offender whose victim was under the age of 18 years
- you spent any part of your sentence in the Arkansas Department of Corrections
- you committed a violent felony
- you committed a Y felony
- you committed an A or B class non-drug felony
If any of the above is true, you will need to complete an application for pardon on the Arkansas Governor's website.
Before completing the forms, it helps to have your Judgment and Commitment Order. If you do not have this legal document, you can go to the clerk's office where you were sentenced and ask for a copy. The clerk may charge a small fee (generally $5) for the copies.
This section contains links that offer information about expungement laws in Arkansas. There are pdf fact sheets, pdf forms, and interactive forms to help you understand sealing your criminal records in Arkansas.
IMPORTANT NOTICE - THE EXPUNGEMENT LAWS AND FORMS HAVE CHANGED AS OF JANUARY 1, 2014. WE ARE CURRENTLY UPDATING OUR INFORMATION. VISIT THE ARKANSAS CRIME INFORMATION CENTER FOR THE LATEST FORMS.
FACT SHEETS & LEGAL INFORMATION
- Fact Sheet - Background Check
- Fact Sheet - Expungement Overview
- Fact Sheet - Expungement Instructions
- Fact Sheet - Expungement Flow Chart (Felonies)
- Fact Sheet - Expungement Flow Chart (Misdemeanors)
- Fact Sheet - Pardon (Executive Clemency)
FORMS - PETITIONS TO SEAL OR EXPUNGE
- Petition to Seal Form (PDF provided by ACIC) (update in progress)
- Act 531 of 1993 Petition to Expunge (PDF provided by ACIC) (update in progress)
- Petition to Seal Under Act 346 of 1975 (PDF provided by ACIC) (update in progress)
- Order to Seal Form (PDF provided by ACIC) (update in progress)
- Act 531 of 1993 Final Order of Expungement (PDF provided by ACIC) (update in progress)
- Order to Dismiss and Seal Under Act 346 of 1975 (PDF provided by ACIC) (update in progress)
- Criminal History Order to Seal Form (PDF provided by ACIC) (update in progress)
- Criminal History Petition to Seal Form (PDF provided by ACIC) (update in progress)
These fact sheets are Adobe Acrobat pdf files. You may need to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them.
We are providing this information as a public service. We try to make it accurate. Sometimes the laws change. We cannot promise that the information is always up-to-date and correct.
We do not intend this information to be legal advice. We do not intend it as advertising or solicitation. By providing this information, we are not acting as your lawyer. Always talk to a competent lawyer, if you can, before taking legal action.
Some of the items listed here have not been prepared by us, but rather are links to information prepared and posted by others. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of information posted on these sites.
|Fact Sheet - Expungement Flow Chart - Felonies (PDF)||208.03 KB|