Representing Yourself in Court - Pro Se Answer
There are many reasons why people represent themselves in court without a lawyer. In criminal cases, if you can't afford a lawyer, the court will appoint a lawyer for you. In civil cases, however, you do not have the right to a court-appointed lawyer.
For small claims cases, you are not allowed to have a lawyer, so everyone in small claims court represents themselves.
Below you will find information about representing yourself in court. It is always a good idea to have a lawyer represent you. You can visit CourtHelp to find more information about the Arkansas court system, how to prepare for court, where to file, and more.
FACT SHEETS & LEGAL INFORMATION
- Fact Sheet - Filing a Pro Se Answer (View as PDF | View as HTML)
- Fact Sheet - In Forma Pauperis Instructions. This guide offers directions on how to seek a waiver for court filing fees.
- Fact Sheet - In Forma Pauperis and Sample Forms
- Fact Sheet - Service by Publication (Warning Order)
- Form - In Forma Pauperis Affidavit
- Form - In Forma Pauperis Petition
- Form - In Forma Pauperis Order
FORMS & COURT INFORMATION
- Interactive Form - In Forma Pauperis. This is an interactive form that will produce the three (3) documents you need to request a waiver of filing fees from the court.
VIDEO RESOURCES (Watch & Learn)
NOTE: These are Adobe Acrobat PDF files. You may need to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them.
We are providing this information as a public service. We try to make it accurate. Sometimes the laws change. We cannot promise that the information is always up-to-date and correct.
We do not intend this information to be legal advice. We do not intend it as advertising or solicitation. By providing this information, we are not acting as your lawyer. Always talk to a competent lawyer, if you can, before taking legal action.
Some of the items listed here have not been prepared by us, but rather are links to information prepared and posted by others. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of information posted on these sites.